2017 Duluth City Bowhunt

2017 Duluth City Bowhunt

My third year hunting whitetail deer in the Duluth City Bowhunt. Last year was my first ever deer taken with my bow. Hopefully I can make it happen again this year.

Opening morning was extremely foggy with scattered storms, so I opted out of the morning hunt with the plan of hitting the stand once it cleared up in the afternoon. I had never hunted the area before and hadn’t even seen a deer on my Stealthcam. I didn’t have extremely high hopes from the Stealthcam footage, but there were tracks and beds nearby so I new there were deer in the area. I pulled my SD card on my way back after not seeing any deer. Unfortunately I made the wrong decision in not hunting the morning. A doe walked by my stand around 8:30 a.m. and again at around 11:30 a.m. I was a couple hours too late.

The next day I went out in the morning hoping to see the doe, but again did not see a single deer all morning. I took a break mid-day and came back in the late afternoon. I got in my stand around 4:30 p.m. and within a few minutes I heard a branch break and some water splashing behind me in the creek right were I walk through to get to my stand.

I turned around and watched a nice 10 point buck standing 20 yards behind me. Exciting right!? Yes, except for the fact that the Duluth City Bowhunt has an earn-a-buck rule that means that you must harvest a doe before you can shoot a buck. So instead of grabbing my bow and hitting the trigger, I grab my phone and hit record.

He walked right past me at 15 yards then made a rub and bedded down only 30 yards from me. For an hour I watched this buck as if he knew that I wasn’t able to take a shot at him. I did gain a huge amount of confidence in my scent control. The wind was directly toward this bedded buck, but he didn’t seem spooked in the slightest.

Now that I knew there was a shooter buck in the area I decided to grab my climber and hit a different area to try and get my doe.

New Area

After seeing a nice buck this weekend I decided to move to a new area so I didn’t risk the chance of bumping him. Threw my climber on my back and walked into the woods. There was not much deer sign, but a few tracks in the mud have me a little motivation. I climbed up a birch tree on a side hill near intersecting trails.

15 minutes after sunset there was some rustling in the brush 30 yards away, then I saw movement through the tall grass. She slowly walked out right onto the trail I was on and looked right up at me. I had my binoculars in hand and froze when she looked up. A few seconds later she lowered her head. I grabbed my bow, drew back, and settled in my 10 yards pin.

I watched as my lighted nock flew through the air. I thought a may have shot a little high, but with such a steep angle I new the exit wound would be about perfect.

After waiting 30 minutes I climbed down and called my wife Morgan help track it. We looked at the arrow and I was a little worried there was not much blood, but I had payed close attention after the shot and thought I heard a crash not too far away.

We started looking for blood drops, and finally found our first drop 15 yards away. I was getting more worried about the lack of blood we were finding, but not long after we found her! Less than 60 yards from my stand.

Duluth City Hunt Doe